This week has been a mix of animals and portraiture. I started out continuing exploring drawing animals in ink with the sketch of the New Forest pony. They are a fairly unique shape which is quite hard to capture and, to my mind, always look a little sad. I found I was really enjoying the scribble method I was using to capture the pony’s grey coat and have continued to explore this further during the course of this week.
I then started a drawing of a peacock which I’d taken a photograph of on a visit to Castle Howard, near York, last weekend. The fantastic peacock tail feathers were past their best but he was still a magnificent colour and I enjoyed trying to capture his colours and shapes with my water colour pencils.
Moving on with exploring pen and ink, I began some portraiture and have completed two picture of John, the first from a photo taken earlier this year and the second a quick study from life whilst he was watching tv. Both of these studies were completed in ink without the benefit of sketching in pencil first. So, they are complete, errors and all and to be honest I’m quite pleased with them and with the likeness I’ve managed to achieve.
Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve been working on drawing animals (and been away on a short break to the New Forest so less drawing time available). I wanted to draw a really good picture of my son’s dog Kaya. She is still a puppy and really cute but she is going to be a very big dog when she’s fully grown and is already about the size of a labrador. She is a Malamute which is similar to a Huskie but she doesn’t have blue eyes. They are very good sled pulling dogs, apparently. Anyway, I started with the quick pencil sketch you can see at the top of the post and have just completed the pen and ink drawing you can see below. The sketch is a fairly small image which I did in an hour or so in my sketch book whereas the pen and ink one is A2 size and was done ready to be framed. Hopefully my son and his girlfriend will like it. I may use this one as my submission in the next module of my course; the other option is a drawing of a horse so I might have a go at that next.
This week I spent some time on a slightly abstracted study of some sunflowers. initially this started as a charcoal sketch but I started to play with colour using water soluble pencils. The cartridge paper I was drawing on wasn’t the best for this and has resulted in a rather wrinkly image which might flatten a bit more when it’s thoroughly dried. I had been inspired to try this by the Van Gogh sunflower copy I did last week in oils and I think this image could work quite well as an oil painting too so I might work that up at some time.